Welcome to the FPE video course on Mood Disorders and Substance Use. Filmed at a live FPE training, this course consists of four video lectures, each with an accompanying quiz.
- Duration: 1 hour
- Credit Hours: MCBAP-R (1.0) MCBAP-S (0.0) Mi-CEC (0.0) Nursing (0.0)
Defining Mood Disorders
In this video course, FPE practitioners and trainers describe serious mental illnesses, including mood disorders, and the effects of substance misuse on mental illness for new FPE facilitators to share with consumers and families.
The FPE course experts provide evidence-based information about the biology of serious mental illness, especially pertaining to bipolar and schizophrenia disorders. Families often deal with very difficult and challenging behaviors While very important for treatment and recovery, it is often hard to sort out challenging behavior related to illnesses. When FPE facilitators understand and share the role of biology in specific serious mental illnesses, families and individuals often experience less frustration and are more able to focus on treatment.
Family Psychoeducation, an evidenced-based treatment for mental illness; it recognizes the important role families play in treatment and recovery.
FPE uses a strengths-based treatment approach to partner with consumers and families and support recovery by providing practical help and information.
FPE Facilitators can use the information in this course to better
- Understand information about the biological basis of serious mental illness
- Develop a deeper understanding of mood disorders, Schizophrenia, and related illnesses
- Examine how substance use impacts serious mental illness
- Observe how you might present and communicate the information in these videos to families participating in FPE